We are pleased to announce that the 2nd edition of the Student B.Sc. Thesis Competition will be organized as a part of the 23rd KKIO Software Engineering conference. (Call for participation EN/PL)
The competition has the following aims:
- improving the level of B.Sc. (engineering) theses in the field of computer science, with a special focus on the Software Engineering aspects,
- promoting the best Software Engineering practices among the students of the first-cycle studies,
- providing constructive feedback on the quality of student engineering projects to boost their professional development and encourage them to continue their education in the field of Software Engineering.
- establishing a helpful and stimulating forum for sharing knowledge and experience between students and mentors from different universities and companies.
The winners will receive the following rewards:
- 1st place – 3 000 PLN
- 2nd place – 2 000 PLN
- 3rd place – 1 000 PLN
The authors of all awarded theses will be invited to a special session held during the KKIO 2022 conference. The winners will have a chance to present their accomplishments and receive feedback from the audience. The presentations (as the whole conference) will be held online.
Who can participate?
The competition is open to all B.Sc. graduates from higher education institutions in Poland (including citizens of other countries) whose diploma project concerned creating a software application/system and who submitted and defended their B.Sc theses in the academic 2021/2022. We accept single- and multi-authored theses.
How to submit your thesis?
The thesis must be submitted to email@example.com conference system and shall:
- be submitted by one of the authors of the thesis,
- be written either in Polish or English,
- be submitted as a single PDF file,
- include an abstract in English limited to 300 words
- include a form confirming the date of defense and authorship of the thesis.
- July 31, 2022
Submitted theses will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Problem and solution – This criterion will evaluate the significance and innovative character of the problem and the proposed solution (e.g., in the context of existing solutions, possibilities of practical application).
- Quality – This criterion will evaluate the quality of the thesis and other artifacts created within the thesis such as maturity of results, applying best Software Engineering practices, comprehensibility of the documentation, clarity of the thesis, completeness, and editorial level.
- Software Engineering – the competition will promote theses with a strong connection to Software Engineering. Additional points may be awarded to theses describing tools supporting Software Engineering processes and practices, e.g., software quality assessment tools, tools supporting automatic testing, communication, or source code implementation.
The theses will be evaluated by the competition committee as well as experienced reviewers assigned by the committee. Committee decisions cannot be appealed.
The competition is sponsored by the Wielkopolska Branch of the Polish Information Processing Society (OW PTI).
Committee Chair – Mirosław Ochodek, Politechnika Poznańska
- Aleksander Jarzębowicz, Politechnika Gdańska
- Andrzej Paszkiewicz, Politechnika Rzeszowska
- Jakub Swacha, Uniwersytet Szczeciński
- Michał Śmiałek, Politechnika Warszawska
- Wojciech Thomas, Politechnika Wrocławska
Information on the processing of personal data
- The administrator of personal data is the Polish Information Processing Society (Polskie Towarzystwo Informatyczne, hereinafter referred to as PTI), ul. Solec 38 lok. 103, 00-394 Warsaw, KRS 0000043879, contact phone: 22 838 47 05, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, and through the appointed Data Protection Officer, email: email@example.com.
- Personal data is collected for participation in the competition for the Student B.Sc. Thesis Competition. The data will be processed to organize, promote and conduct the competition, including the publication of information about the winners on the websites and social media belonging to PTI.
- Personal data that will be collected by PTI is the data collected in the registration form on the website easychair.org and other data provided during the competition through correspondence with PTI and organizers.
- The legal basis for the processing of Participants’ data is art. 6 sec. 1 of the European Parliament and Council (EU) Regulation No (EC) 679/2016, i.e. consent to their processing is given by submitting your application to the competition using the registration form. The consent to the processing of data may be withdrawn at any time without affecting the lawfulness of the processing which was carried out based on consent before its withdrawal.
- The recipients of personal data indicated in the registration form may be employees of PTI, members of the competition committee, and entities performing tasks commissioned by PTI based on data processing agreements, as well as institutions authorized to process data based on applicable law.
- Personal data will be processed until the consent to their processing is withdrawn, taking into account the limitation period for any claims.
- Providing data is voluntary, however, resigning from doing that will prevent participation in the competition.
- PTI does not intend to transfer the personal data of competition participants to a third country or international organizations.
- Competition participants have the right to request PTI to access their data, rectify it, transfer and delete it, as well as the right to limit data processing. To exercise your rights, please contact the administrator in any form convenient for you.
- In connection with the processing of personal data by PTI, you have the right to complain to the supervisory body, which is the President of the Office for Personal Data Protection.